What To Do With Leftover Bread? - A Dutch-Style Ham And Fried Onion Casserole!
Bread is a product that can be found in almost every kitchen. But there are situations when the question arises of what to do with yesterday’s bread – especially when it has already become dry and you rather want something fresh.
The answer is simple – make a Dutch-style ham and fried onion casserole out of it.
Types Of Bread Casserole
Bread casserole is a versatile dish. Conventionally, all recipes for bread casseroles can be divided into sweet dessert and savory, which can be prepared for lunch, dinner or breakfast. Bread casseroles can be made with both light and dark bread.
For a layer of sweet bread casseroles you can take apples, cottage cheese, and dried fruits.
Non-sweet bread casseroles are made with cheese, ham, vegetables, and mushrooms, but of course you can add everything you want to.
Bread casserole with onions and ham turns out to be tender and tasty. The ingredients listed in the recipe can make a great hot dinner for at least 4 people. This may seem like a long and complicated process. But actually it’s not. In just 45 minutes you get an appetizing and hearty dish, of which 30 minutes are spent on the baking process in the oven – so you actually only have 15 minutes of preparation.
What you need:
- White bread (200g)
- Milk (2 cups)
- Hard cheese (75g)
- Butter (10g)
- Egg (1)
- Onion (500g)
- Ham (120g)
- Black pepper
- Chop the onion and fry it under the lid until it’s soft. Salt and pepper it to your taste and transfer it to a colander to drain excess fat. Soak pieces of white bread in a cup of milk.
- Grease the baking dish with butter. Put the bread soaked in milk on the bottom of the mold.
- Spread the onion over the bread in an even layer.
- Chop the ham. Beat the egg with milk. Sprinkle the pieces of ham over the onion and fill the mold with the milk-egg mixture
- Put it in a preheated oven (200C) for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180C and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Dutch-style bread casserole with fried onions and ham is ready. Now it is time to enjoy: Bon Appetit!
If you want to discover further easy and inspiring cooking / baking recipes which help avoiding food waste, check out our category of recipes!
Inspired by: 4-cooc, 2019, Casserole of onion bread and Dutch ham